Interested in Underwater Photography Courses? Never tried it before or want to learn more? Underwater photography courses tailor made to suit you.
Instead of being taught a generic underwater photography course via one of the major recreational scuba training agencies (which is often taught by a diving instructor with little or no understanding of cameras), you could be taught a bespoke course by our professional underwater photographer Narcosis Nick, who has years of experience working in the field. The course is designed to give you a greater understanding of your (or our) camera system, and more in-depth knowledge about camera functions, settings and editing. You can choose to use my DSLR Nikon D7100 setup or my Compact Canon G15 setup. Nick also runs courses for training on how to become and work as a professional underwater photographer.
On Koh Lanta, near Krabi in Thailand, Nick offers underwater photography courses to suit all levels, ages, and experiences. Nick runs various courses to suit your needs, requirements, and your camera system. Courses are taught at our shop in Lanta Diver in Saladan, Koh Lanta. We provide top of the range facilities where we have AC classrooms to study in, a good swimming pool to practice and two big boats where we can put all the practice into fruition.
Want to take photographs like these one below? Read on below for course outlines and structure –
1 Day course – 1/2 day in an A/C classroom and 1/2 day in the pool. Approx 8 – 9hrs.
Here you will learn the basics about cameras, which camera suits your needs, using and maintaining your camera. Nick will teach you how to become a diver with better buoyancy. Also including:
- Full morning classroom session to understand cameras, settings & composition.
- Camera set up pre dive
- Learning to shoot in manual mode where you will learn to control shutter speeds / aperture / ISO easily
- Shooting Wide Angle vs Macro
- Lighting – using natural light as well as using strobes and how to position them
- Selecting the right exposure
- Full buoyancy session making you better in the water for taking shots
- Focusing on subjects underwater
- Understanding Depth of Field
- Learn to take split level shots
- How to Position yourself underwater
- Safety underwater
- Post Dive Camera care
- Post processing underwater photographs using Lightroom.
2 Day Course – Day 1 (as above) Day 2 as follows – Approx 9 hrs
- Putting Day 1 into practice in the sea and learning how to manage yourself on a boat around other divers.
- A full day on the boat learning how to take underwater photographs in the ocean.
- 1 Dive Wide Angle Photography – how to compose reef and fish shots as well as human portrait photography.
- 1 Dive Macro Photography – how to compose shots on macro subjects, using depth of field and composition.
- Full de-brief of the days shoot on the journey back to land.
- Breakfast, lunch and soft drinks are included in the price and are available for the whole day.
- Some days the boats do a 3rd dive and there is a possibility of doing this dive for a small additional cost.
3 Day Course – Day 1 and 2 as above with an extra day in the field homing your skills.
The courses are designed to go at your speed with small group numbers. Nick wants to share his passion for underwater photography and diving with you in a safe fun and controlled enviroment. Nick has been diving for over 8 years in many different conditions and locations around the world. He has been taking underwater photographs for over 5 years now and this year Nick had his first exhibition in Hull as part of the City of Culture Celebrations 2017.
Professional Photography Course – 2 day course.
There are many places around the world where you can work and earn a good living as a professional underwater photographer. You can make a living from selling photos to customers on snorkelling and dive trips. This course is designed so you can learn the steps needed to become a professional underwater photographer. Similar layout to the 1 or 2 day course with increased key focus areas on –
- Focusing on customer breifings, interaction, requirements and expectations
- Positioning and conduct with customers underwater
- Pre dive set up and checks
- More emphasis on portrait photography rather than Macro.
- Choosing the types of shots to take
- How to edit in bulk and quickly
- Presenting pictures to your customers.
- File Transfer
Basic requirements needed for the courses and additional info
- Minimum Open Water Certification with good buoyancy skills.
- A real passion for what you are doing!
- I will not accept divers for a 2 or 3 day course that cannot control their buoyancy as this can lead to safety issues and also could lead to damaging the reefs.
- You can either use your own camera as well as use my compact set up (G15) and / or my DSLR set up (Nikon D7100).
- Dive equipment, scuba tanks & pick up and drop off at your hotel for the course are included in the price, if needed, at no eaxtra charge.
- Additional days diving can be booked through Lanta Diver.
- Transfers to and from the airport can be arranged through Lanta Diver. Hotel bookings can also be managed for your stay.